Our gardening group under the direction and management of David T. has done it again. It has been cold and raining on and off for days, but David pulled it off last Thursday. Along with his crew all the flowers for our complex got planted on a very pleasant, not too warm, but sunny day, complete with the prospect of light rain that night to complete the project. All the common areas and around the apartment buildings the plants went in, while a number of our villa owners contributed with their own gardens. Lookin’ good! Or as they say in the Wendy’s commercial, “Living large my friend” It can only get better with time and I will update again with some pictures I hope.
Our bird population is down this year it seems, likely due to a family of big black crows that decided that our complex and its trees would make a nice home. Now I know it is only nature at work and nothing personal. To them birds eggs and baby birds are lunch, just that. But damn it all, they could go to some other buffet with their tray! I assume that they were the ones that destroyed my bird nest at the back of our place. Sparrows are a hardy bunch, and they have already returned to work on a new brood. I hope they make it.
Along with the crows, and sparrows, the Purple finches have made a return a few days ago. They always come from the same direction, a copse of trees mixed in with the villas on our complex, but I can not be sure where their nest is. Should have knocked the crows nest down as it began. To the best of my knowledge the taking out of a crows nest is not considered a bad thing in view of their predatory nature. The Migratory Bird Act prohibits the destruction of bird nests that are in any way established. I don’t think the crows qualify for this protection. The robins we have enjoyed to a greater or lesser extent for years now are all AWOL. They were here earlier in the year until all the food was gone, and then they left, but other than the odd glimpse of one, nothing.
We managed to dodge a big bullet on Friday. We were issued with a Heavy thunderstorm watch, that went to a warning for a short time before the whole thing was taken down. Areas around the city particularly the north south and east did get some heavy storms with quarter size hail. We drew the long straw and got a few showers, but the sky looked deadly for a while.
Let’s try for that smile now. I got these from a friend in Florida, and enjoyed them all, I’m sure you will too.
Remember the old-time Jewish comedians of Vaudeville days – Shecky Green, Red Buttons, Totie Fields, Milton Berle, Henny Youngman, and others? You may have only heard of them, but don’t we all miss their kind of humour? Not a single swear word in their comic routines:
* A car hit an elderly Jewish man. The paramedic says, "Are you comfortable? " The man says, "I make a good living."
* I just got back from a pleasure trip. I took my mother-in-law to the airport.
* I’ve been in love with the same woman for 49 years. If my wife finds out, she’ll kill me!
* Someone stole all my credit cards, but I won’t be reporting it. The thief spends less than my wife did.
* We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.
* My wife and I went to a hotel where we got a waterbed. My wife calls it the Dead Sea.
* My wife and I revisited the hotel where we spent our wedding night. This time I was the one who stayed in the bathroom and cried.
* My Wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.
* She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.
* The Doctor gave a man six months to live. The man couldn’t pay his bill, so the doctor gave him another six months.
* The Doctor called Mrs. Cohen saying, "Mrs. Cohen, your check came back." Mrs. Cohen replied, "So did my arthritis!"
* Doctor: "You’ll live to be 60!" Patient: "I AM 60!" Doctor: "See! What did I tell you?"
* Patient: "I have a ringing in my ears. " Doctor: "Don’t answer!"
* A drunk was in front of a judge. The judge says, "You’ve been brought here for drinking. " The drunk says, "Okay, let’s get started."
*The Harvard School of Medicine did a study of why Jewish women like Chinese food so much. The study revealed that the reason for this is because Won Ton spelled backward is Not Now.
*There is a big controversy on the Jewish view of when life begins. In Jewish tradition, the foetus is not considered viable until it graduates from law school.
Q : Why don’t Jewish mothers drink?
A : Alcohol interferes with their suffering.
Q : Have you seen the newest Jewish-American-Princess horror movie?
A : It’s called, "Debbie Does Dishes."
Q : Why do Jewish mothers make great parole officers?
A : They never let anyone finish a sentence.
Q : What’s a Jewish American Princess’s favourite position?
A : Facing Bloomingdale’s.
Big Smile Now, and Have a Great Day!